First XI Results

 DateTime Opponent Home/AwayCompetition
20th April 2011 13:00 University of Edinburgh Men's 1st HomeBUCS
 27th April 201113:00 University of Stirling Men's 1st  HomeBUCS 
4th May 2011 13:00  University of Aberdeen Men's 1st HomeBUCS 
 8th May 2011  University of Edinburgh Men's 1st
 11th May 2011  University of Stirling Men's 1st AwayBUCS 
 15th May 2011
 University of Aberdeen Men's 1st AwayBUCS

All BUCS games are contributing towards the BUCS Cricket-Scotland Scottish Men's 1A 2011 League.

Keep checking back here after the matches to find out how the Men's 1st got on as they aim for the top of Scottish universities cricket!

27th April 2011: Stirling 1st XI beat St Andrews 1st XI 

Stirling 1st XI-242 for 8 from 50 overs beat St Andrews 1st XI-175 for all out from 39.4 overs by 
67 runs.

If last week was the zenith of St Andrews’ Cricket Club, this week certainly was the nadir. After last week’s success, with both 1s and 2s being victorious against their Edinburgh counterparts, we suddenly lost the ability required for basic cricketing skills and we were unceremoniously beaten by all opponents, from the 1s down to the 3s. I request the time and patience from my audience to humbly reminisce about the woeful performance from our first XI against Stirling on 27th April 2011.

Things got off to a great start with Captain Jake Starkey flicking another coin expertly, causing the opposition captain to call incorrectly. Without hesitation, and with undisguisable glee, he put Stirling into bat with the sound reasoning his strong St Andrews team, boosted by the return of Jamie ‘Snorlax’ Bowick, but weakened by the absence of Elliot ‘EB’ Brown, would roll the Stirling boys cheaply and knock them off quickly, enticed by an early appearance at the Lizard.

After a tidy, but uneventful, first over by Callum 'SuperCal' Lawson, the marker for the rest of the day’s bowling and fielding performance was laid down by 5 wides off Pete Greene’s first ball. Callum did remove their opener but this only brought their Australian number 3 to the crease who proceeded to score 92, as well as provide evidence that not all Australians have bleached blonde hair, ear piercings. Bowick soon replaced Pete, obviously distracted from cricket by the joy of not being banned from the St Andrews’ golf courses for his life, and immediately caused problems for the batsmen, leading to a sharp stumping by captain Jake Starkey. Other notable events in the innings included a great 10 over spell by Sam Holland, belying his reputation as a dirty fresher, a decent 10 over spell by Andrew Dick (more than decent actually, he got 3 wickets), Ed Kneale getting scooped for 4, and a truly horrendous dropped catch by Stephen ‘SHELLEY!!!!’ Ditchfield. This amounted to a total of 242-8 for Stirling, which although a much larger total than expected, was still very much chaseable for the Seagulls.

However, after having to deal with a plethora of half volleys from his own fielders as well as gorging himself on the Whey Pat’s wholesome teas, captain and opener Jake Starkey inexplicably chipped a catch to Stirling’s mid-off for a 6-ball duck. Supercal and Dicko then batted with ease until Dicko played around one that kept very low and was trapped LBW. Ed Kneale shortly followed with a first ball duck which meant the two second years in the top order contributed a grand total of 0 from 7 balls. Cal battled superbly for his 62 runs as wickets tumbled from the other end. Charlie Pearson, making his first team debut was bowled, whilst fresher TJ Beattie went the same way; as did Stephen Ditchfield. Pete Greene livened things up with a brisk 31 before being caught on the long off boundary after hitting consecutive sixes. After Callum was bowled by a surprising decent ball by their left arm seamer, the game was ultimately lost, although Darryl Irish (contrary to popular belief, and Dicko's protestations, the only actual Australian in the team today) battled hard with Jamie Bowick. Things were eventually wrapped up when Bowick snicked off and Sam Holland, proved as incompetent with bat as good he was with the ball and was bowled for a second ball duck. We lost by 67 runs.

But hey, what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger. Unless it’s a torn ACL which weakens the **** out of your knee. Hopefully the Seagulls haven’t torn their ACL and they can learn from their poor performance and beat Aberdeen next week. And I leave you with this poignant thought: What’s the difference between jam and peanut butter?

Jake Starkey

20th April 2011: St Andrews 1st XI beat Edinburgh 1st XI 

St Andrews 1st XI-162 for 4 from 28 overs beat Edinburgh 1st XI-161 for 10 from 26 overs by 
six wickets.

St Andrews University Cricket Club 1st XI overcame great adversity to defeat Edinburgh’s 1’s in their first game under new 1st team captain Jake Starkey. Before the game even begun the team were set back by the ‘hide-and-seek’ antics of one of the club’s members, as they were unable to find the rudiments they needed for their match. Before the game had even begun the Seagulls also had to contend with the late withdrawal of Mitchell Collins from the bowling line up, due to the reoccurrence of the shoulder injury he sustained whilst trying to impress Henry Olonga in the nets earlier in the year. Nevertheless, the team ploughed on: a fine flick of the coin by Starkey meant the Edinburgh skipper called incorrectly and the Seagulls elected to field on a typically (according to BBC Weather) ‘White-Cloud’ day on University Park.

With Mitch Collins out injured, it was thrust upon Callum Lawson and Pete Greene to open the bowling. Both immediately found swing in their opening spells and we had a moment of good fortune when the Edinburgh opener (who scored a chanceless 90-odd against us last year) decided to set off for a non-existent run against TJ Beattie, only to be turned back by his opening partner which result in Mitch Collins throwing down the stumps by a whole two yards. 0-1 in the first over meant St Andrews were well and truly on top, especially since they were missing the inimitable Stephen Ditchfield, who having been up for the whole night writing an essay and attending a tutorial until 1pm, missed the excitement of the first 13 or so overs: a solid effort for a 10 man team.

Edinburgh progressed relatively serenely to about 30-1 when Pete Greene came to the fore. In an unstoppable over, Pete picked up 2 wickets in 2 balls, first taking out their left handed number 3 and then bowling their no. 4 the very next ball with a full pitched swinging delivery which the batsmen flailed around blindly for and was comprehensively bowled. These wickets well and truly brought the Seagulls back into the game and Edinburgh were reeling at 32-3. St Andrews well and truly wrapped their Seagullian wings around the Edinburgh Team and squeezed them into submission. The other half of their opening pair was then bowled by the metronomic Callum Lawson. Callum was terribly unlucky to only pick up the single wicket from his 10-over spell, and would have received a greater reward had Ed Kneale not shelled a catch at second slip and had he won TJ in the raffle on Monday night. Once the openers came off, it was left to the triad of spinners to come and wheel their magic on the hallowed turf of University Park.

Although Elliot Brown caused issues for the batsmen in his first over, he was sadly lacking some consistancy and was replaced by Andrew Dick, taking a half day break from his horrendously ‘busy’ schedule in order to play. Andy and Sam Holland exerted great pressure on the Edinburgh lads, both bowling fantastic spells. Of particular note is Sam Holland whose figures read 17-3 off 10 overs, a truly splendid effort for a leg-spinner who was playing his first game on the usually sticky, seam-friendly wickets of Scotland. Harry Williams was next into the bowling attack and had their no. 8 caught behind by Starkey whilst Brown returned to pick up their last wicket, with Andy Dick showing Kneale and Brown how to slip by snaring a sharp(ish) chance at 1st slip. This left St Andrews chasing a relatively low target of 162 to win.

Lawson and Starkey opened the batting for the ‘Gulls and got off to a decent start, aided by a plethora of wides by the Edinburgh opening bowlers, before Callum was harshly adjudged LBW to a ball he claims didn’t even hit the pad. Starkey was the next to go for 23, on the end of another LBW decision that could have gone either way; shame the BUCS Scottish 1A don’t have video assistance.

Thankfully, this meant Elliot Brown and Andy Dick, our two most senior batsmen were at the crease together and put on a meaningful stand with Brown getting off the mark with a glorious drive. Thankfully, Edinburgh took off their left-arm seam bowler after 6 overs, whom had already accounted for Starkey and was causing the St Andrews batsmen no end of problems to be replaced with a left arm spinner. Andy and Elliot picked up single of Edinburgh’s spin twins, who were nowhere near as effective as the Seagulls spin trio as well as the odd boundary leaving St Andrews very much in control. But there was a twist in the tale when Elliot was bowled for 15 and Kneale followed shortly after for just 4. Enter TJ Beattie. With around 60 or so needed to win, TJ batted like a consummate pro, taking the pressure off Andy with an array of shots, notably two slog sweeps he smoked to the boundary. In the end, St Andrews won by an entirely comfortable margin of 6 wickets with around 12 overs left.

Credit must go to the star performers of the day: Andrew Dick, Sam Holland, and TJ Beattie, ably backed up by Pete Greene and Callum Lawson. The St Andrews Man of the Match is Andrew Dick for his stunning stand on 71 not out.

All in all a top day for the Seagulls and may we have many more like it!

Jake Starkey